Campers

Demographic Information

Who does Steve's Camp serve? Here is some basic demographic information about our campers (drawn from our Summer 2014 intake survey):

Nearly half of campers speak a language other than English at home. 49% of campers indicated they speak a language other than English at home. By far, the most commonly-spoken language was Spanish, followed by French. Individual campers reported speaking Arabic, Cantonese, Creole, Patois, Twi, and Wolof.

The vast majority of campers identify as African-American or Latino. 92% of campers reported their race/ethnicity as African-American or Latino. 2% identified as Asian-American. 5% listed their race as "other."

Most campers reside in Brooklyn or the Bronx, in areas where the median income is low. 82% of campers said they live in Brooklyn or the Bronx. 10% said they live in Manhattan, and 8% said they live in Queens. While we do not ask campers to report on their families’ incomes, we did look at the median income of campers’ zip codes. The average median income in campers’ zip codes was $28,713. As a point of reference, for 2013-14, the federal poverty line for a family of four was $23,550. However, current research suggests that, on average, families need an income of about twice the federal poverty level just to afford basic expenses – particularly in areas with a high cost of living, like New York City. (To be eligible for free lunch in New York, a family of four must have a household income of $30,615 or less.)

Over half of responding campers reported not living with two parents. 56% of responding campers indicated they did not live with two parents (whether two biological parents, or parent and step-parent). Of the remaining 44%, 28% reported living with their mother and father, and 16% said they lived with a parent and step-parent (in all cases, a mother and stepfather).